Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Scrubs: "Our Role Models" (9.3) Have I seen this before? - Review

Now that the charm of the first week back has worn off, let's see what we're left with.

I'm really getting into the Drew character, he's nice to watch and I actually find myself wanting to know more about his past and where he's going to go from here. Cutting the Golden Boy story short really gave Drew a chance to show us depth early on, and I have faith that we're going to get there.

Meanwhile, Lucy (who I continue to adore) seems to be headed more in the direction of Elliott than J.D., really Lucy, Cole, again? I'm just waiting to hear an interior/exterior monologue about how her mother ruined any semblance of self confidence she might have had a chance at.

I really admire that she really perseveres, at least so far, and takes the initiative to make changes when a situation isn't working for her, example: dumping J.D. for Denise as a mentor when she wasn't getting what she needed.

I'm loving Denise this season, she's growing and maturing as a Doctor. Unlike most characters on Scrubs she has realized the extent to which her career path as a doctor will have an impact on her life. I appreciate that the writers have gone beyond her sex life to portray her as an independent woman. She took care of her student, her patient, and her patient's child without having to be seriously goaded into actually acting like an adult and doing her job. To me this makes her one of the most mature characters on the show, and the most together.

The story of Denise bonding with a patient and having to deal with the real consequences of this bonding when things go bad brings back a more somber side of Scrubs that we know well form past seasons that didn't appear in the premiere hour block. It's a good story, and good tone, but I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that I've seen this story from Scrubs before.

The things that I didn't like:

Cole - again. If he's going to be on my screen every week we need to make some progress with him beyond the one note legacy frat boy.

J.D - While last week I was simply confident that Scrubs would be fine without J.D. on board, after this week I'm convinced that his departure from a central role will actually benefit the show. And although I would still appreciate the occasional scene of J.D. goofing off with Turk, his jealousy of Drew and continued insecurities with Dr. Cox are becoming more than irritating.

When J.D. said to Turk, "I feel like I'm being replaced", it was clearly a self-referential comment about what is actually happening, but I just want it to hurry up and happen sooner.

Has Scrubs run out its story lines or do you think the writers will be able to pull out something new to spice up the new era of Scrubs?

No comments:

Post a Comment