Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Scrubs "Our First Day of School" & "Our Drunk Friend" - Review


I was delightfully surprised by the Scrubs premiere episodes tonight. I see the effort to incorporate the new cast members into the Scrubs world, with Lucy eventually I'm assuming becoming more and more central to the series as the old guard of J.D. and co. are slowly phased out.

It's nice to see Denise socializing with J.D and Turk, and continuing to be fleshed out as a character. I was glad to see her grow as a person letting others in, both in her relationships with her colleagues J.D. and Turk, and also with Drew. Her growth was just baby steps, which is appropriate, anything more would be unbelievable.

I really believe that this new format will work. Despite the overhaul in cast and setting, the show has retained its same successful components of quirky characters, fantasy sequences, interesting relationships balanced with actual story lines within the hospital.

Lucy seems like she will work well as the new J.D., and her surrounding med students, quirky Australian included, seem like they will be able to grow into a well rounded supporting cast. This of course will all be held together with the magic that is Dr. Cox and his tough love teaching.


Other little things I loved:
- The return of "Guy Love" as J.D. and Turk ran into each others arms.
- Reference to House when Dr. Cox assigns numbers to his med students
- Dr. Kelso with the WingMom
- J.D. and Turk singing in the bar... and Drew joining them

Things I didn't like:
- J.D. has continued to have such little character growth in 9 seasons. He is still incredibly needy and requires constant approval from his students, peers and most importantly, Dr. Cox.
- Cole... I don't know how long I can deal with this guy. Is he being set up to be the new Todd? I can see him actually being too much for the Todd to handle. He either needs to turn the dial down on his obnoxiousness or cut the screen time because really, I was watching his scenes through my fingers. In my opinion, his antics weren't funny.

Do you think the new format will be successful? Or do you miss the old Sacred Heart? What are your best/worst moments of the first two episodes?

This review has been featured on Sidereel.com: check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment